Tuesday, June 16, 2009

YUL to YYC


It has been three weeks to the day that I left my gorgeous life in la belle Montreal and moved back to the dull Calgary.  As a part of my growth I realized that in order to do what is right for myself I must sacrifice my French-Canadian lifestyle. Oh, how I miss that city!  

Just one month ago was I still living in my downtown apartment on Rue Mackay, the prime location for a Concordia student. Fresh into summer vacation, I was free to roam the city and do as I pleased. Visits to the Musée des Beaux-Arts, hot yoga on a rainy afternoon, walks around the Old Port and Chinatown, hours spent drinking on a terrasse, and delicious nights in a lively neighborhood. 



It's easy to get caught up in the glory of Montreal and I certainly did. I realized that I had to get out and re-focus on my goals and my future, I had to deal with reality. So, I gave up the easy life, packed up my life into boxes and suitcases, and headed west. 

I miss everything about Montreal. From the West Island to the South Shore, from Hollywood and his banana to the Spoons Man on Ste. Catherine, from shawarmas to poutine... That city had it all.

There are so many things I need to do before I make my move back out east. Since it's been a big dream of mine since childhood to move to Montreal, I feel like I rushed it a little bit. Montreal, one day I will return to you. I will re-discover the beauty of living in a Euro-inspired, multi-cultural, multi-lingual, filled-with-everything-awesome city. 

---

Until then...
I have so many adventures to go on, so many places to see, mass amounts of people to encounter, and so much living to do! 

Countless cities are calling my name and are waiting for me to fall in love with them and I'm going to see what they've got to show me. Boston, Chicago, Vancouver, Toronto, New York City...

Foreign countries are opening their doors to me and welcome me with open arms to help me open my eyes and my heart. A South American tour, French lessons in Paris...

Undiscovered talents are also abroad and forgotten talents waiting to be found once again.

Basically, I left my life in Montreal to start other ones. I've always dreamt of so many lives I could live and this is it, this is my chance. So, without further adieu....

It's been a slow start but as soon as I get it going...I know...it's going to be one hell of a year.

Funky Fresh

1 comment:

  1. Good God! You're making me miss Montreal more! I hear you on this post. I packed up and left Montreal years and years ago. I miss it...A LOT!!!

    Keep us posted on how your new adventure unfolds :) Are you staying in Calgary indefinitely or are you going back to MTL?

    ReplyDelete